Ocean's Divide
I'm watching Ocean's Twelve -- again. When I first saw it my initial reaction was that it didn't measure up to the first one, which I physically went to the theatre to see about 5 times (record is still 9 for Crouching Tiger, of course). But the sequel has grown on me, and for the (seriously) hundreds of other DVDs I bought but have yet to watch, I sure spend an inordinate amount of time on this one.
I went online to find some French hip hop (if anyone knows how I can get my hands on music from Nikkfurie de La Caution, I will send so much love) that's in the film, and it occurred to me how much harder I have to work to be connected to current pop culture. I miss being witness to a cultural event (if you consider American Idol to be a cultural event) when everyone else is privy to it at the same time, and then discussing it afterwards with my friends. It's certainly something I don't get a chance to do too often here in Shanghai.
Eric: You know, I felt that "Bad Education" film was merely pretending to be transgressive. Almadovar is plundering old, tired themes from his previous work. It's so frustrating!
Taxi Driver: 听不懂外语!你在说什么?
It's nice to be able to engage in some sort of discourse on things that we've watched and seen. I guess blogging is really my only way to do this, so humor me while I get some of these thoughts out on my head.
- The most painful scene for me to watch of all the films from the past year or so has gotta be Paul Giamatti drinking that bottle of wine at the end of "Sideways." If you haven't seen the film, it won't hurt you to know that he drinks wine throughout the movie. But if you have seen it, I hope you'll agree with me that it was gut-wrenching and bittersweet to watch him, after all the build-up, drown himself in sorrow in that way.
- If mp3s could be worn out then I'd surely have a worn out version of Alicia Keys' "You Don't Know My Name." Props goes out to Kanye West for the amazing beat; the piano cascading down the scale is the equivalent to tasting Godiva milk chocolate...on a spoonful of Haagan Daas. I don't usually like to hear the singer talking during a song, but after Alicia makes the call and gets her date, her ensuing "and it feels like..." is unbridled joy captures at its loveliest musical best. What a great fucking song.
- Two TV boxed sets I have on my desk and not tucked away in the cases are "The Office" and "Family Guy." Has there been comedy this good since...ever? I love "The Simpsons," but the Family Guy dispenses with all sentimentality and goes straight for the jugular. Ricky Gervais' creation and execution of David Brent in "The Office" is pure genius, in one panda's humble opinion leaving Jerry Seinfeld in the dust. I understand there's an American version that ran this past season. I also understand it's not nearly close to the same thing as the original...but what can be?
- The whole Linkin Park and Jay-Z mash-up is so good and so terrible at the same time. "Izzo" is a classic party rah-rah song, "In the End" is a suicide ditty. The two do not belong together lyrically, but go together oh so wonderfully musically.
- Katie Holmes looks like an assistant district attorney for a major metropolitan city as much as I look like Katie Holmes. And why is Christian Bale growling and screaming like he's got rabies when he's Batman? Aside from that, "Batman Begins" is a pretty kick-ass film, especially when Liam Neeson is around.
Thanks for letting me get that out, dear reader. I'll just wait for your response (which will inevitably...not come); it makes the ocean between us seem just a little smaller.
I went online to find some French hip hop (if anyone knows how I can get my hands on music from Nikkfurie de La Caution, I will send so much love) that's in the film, and it occurred to me how much harder I have to work to be connected to current pop culture. I miss being witness to a cultural event (if you consider American Idol to be a cultural event) when everyone else is privy to it at the same time, and then discussing it afterwards with my friends. It's certainly something I don't get a chance to do too often here in Shanghai.
Eric: You know, I felt that "Bad Education" film was merely pretending to be transgressive. Almadovar is plundering old, tired themes from his previous work. It's so frustrating!
Taxi Driver: 听不懂外语!你在说什么?
It's nice to be able to engage in some sort of discourse on things that we've watched and seen. I guess blogging is really my only way to do this, so humor me while I get some of these thoughts out on my head.
- The most painful scene for me to watch of all the films from the past year or so has gotta be Paul Giamatti drinking that bottle of wine at the end of "Sideways." If you haven't seen the film, it won't hurt you to know that he drinks wine throughout the movie. But if you have seen it, I hope you'll agree with me that it was gut-wrenching and bittersweet to watch him, after all the build-up, drown himself in sorrow in that way.
- If mp3s could be worn out then I'd surely have a worn out version of Alicia Keys' "You Don't Know My Name." Props goes out to Kanye West for the amazing beat; the piano cascading down the scale is the equivalent to tasting Godiva milk chocolate...on a spoonful of Haagan Daas. I don't usually like to hear the singer talking during a song, but after Alicia makes the call and gets her date, her ensuing "and it feels like..." is unbridled joy captures at its loveliest musical best. What a great fucking song.
- Two TV boxed sets I have on my desk and not tucked away in the cases are "The Office" and "Family Guy." Has there been comedy this good since...ever? I love "The Simpsons," but the Family Guy dispenses with all sentimentality and goes straight for the jugular. Ricky Gervais' creation and execution of David Brent in "The Office" is pure genius, in one panda's humble opinion leaving Jerry Seinfeld in the dust. I understand there's an American version that ran this past season. I also understand it's not nearly close to the same thing as the original...but what can be?
- The whole Linkin Park and Jay-Z mash-up is so good and so terrible at the same time. "Izzo" is a classic party rah-rah song, "In the End" is a suicide ditty. The two do not belong together lyrically, but go together oh so wonderfully musically.
- Katie Holmes looks like an assistant district attorney for a major metropolitan city as much as I look like Katie Holmes. And why is Christian Bale growling and screaming like he's got rabies when he's Batman? Aside from that, "Batman Begins" is a pretty kick-ass film, especially when Liam Neeson is around.
Thanks for letting me get that out, dear reader. I'll just wait for your response (which will inevitably...not come); it makes the ocean between us seem just a little smaller.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home